Don't have a ton of models, or want to play a huge game? Flash is the most basic and fun 40k there is.
Checkout the rules below, and come get stuck in on September 3rd!
At the start of the tournament, the judge randomly assigns the Seize Ground, Capture and Control and Annihilation missions to each round. No two missions are used twice. All matches use the same mission. Flash tournaments do not use 40k missions, follow scoring rules in the flash handout instead.
1. Table Setup: Terrain is set-up at the tables prior to the start of the event. Players agree how terrain is ruled and will affect the game. Tables are 4'x4'.
2. Deployment: Determine who goes first and table edges, then deploy as the mission dictates.
4. Seize the Initiative: Roll “Seize the Initiative”.
500 pt FLASH TOURNAMENT RULES
The following rules are for building Warhammer 40,000 armies for use in our Warhammer Flash tournaments. These rules are intended for quick, tactical games using small patrol forces. Warhammer 40,000 Flash armies are 500 points, and follow all of the rules listed below:
• You must have 1+ Troop choice and a minimum of 2 non-HQ unit selections.
• You may only have 0-1 HQ selection, even if allowed more than one such selection per HQ.
• You may only have 0-3 total Elite, Fast Assault and Heavy Support units combined.
• You may only have 0-1 non-HQ unit with more than 2 wounds. Minimum unit size is 1 model, maximum size is unit’s original minimum size.
• No independent characters or HQ selections with more than 2 wounds.
• No monstrous creatures.
• No units with a toughness over 6.
• No equipment or upgrades with 2+ saves or models with 2+ saves.
• Vehicles squadrons may only take their minimum number of models.
• No vehicles with a total Armor Value greater than 33. Calculate this by adding the Front, Side, and Rear armor values (counting the Side once).
• No units with Ordnance weapons
• No Special Characters
500 pt Flash Army Specific Rules
• Black Templars: You may take 1 Sword Brethren unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Blood Angels: You may take 1 Sternguard Veteran Squad as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Chaos Space Marines: You may take 1 Chosen Chaos Space Marine unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Dark Angels: You may take 1 Company Veterans unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Dark Eldar: You may include 1 Incubi unit as a HQ choice with a min. unit size 1.
• Eldar: HQ Warlocks may be selected without taking a Farseer, and count as Independent Characters. One warlock can be taken as an HQ choice.
• Grey Knights: You may take 1 Paladin from a Paladin squad as a HQ choice.
• Imperial Guard: Ignore Infantry Platoon composition; you can select infantry platoon units individually. Command Squads count as HQ, Infantry and Conscript Squads as Troops and Heavy and Special Weapon Squads as Heavy Support.
• Necrons: You may take 1 Immortal unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Orks: You may take 1 Nobz unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Space Marines: You may take 1 Sternguard Veteran Squad as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Space Wolves: You may take 1 Wolf Guard unit as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Tyranids: You may take 1 Warrior Brood as a HQ choice with min. unit size 1.
• Witch Hunters: You may take 1 Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor as a HQ choice. Cannot be used as allies.
500 pt Flash Scoring
Use victory point rules in WH40k p. 300 with the Victory Margins below. Don’t use Missions from p. 90-91. Victory Scores: Draw (10 points each)/ Marginal (12/8 points)/ Solid (15/5)/ Massacre (20/0)
- 0-99 Draw
- 100-199 Marginal
- 200-299 Solid
- 300+ Massacre
Date: September 3rd, 2011
Location: FTW Games
Entrance Fee: $8
5 Rounds, 500 Points using "Flash" rules above.
Prize: 100% payout as FTW Games store credit
2. Schedule (estimate)
Registration starts at 1PM and closes at 1:30, First dice at 2PM
This event is first come, first served. A spot may be reserved by paying the entrance fee at FTW Games in advance. No refunds. Lists may be submitted for review. Although this is encouraged, it is not required.
4. Things You Need To Bring
Each player is responsible for bringing the following items:
• Your army
• Dice (d6, scatter, and artillery)
• Measuring device(s)
• Templates and objective markers
• Three or more copies of your list. Lists must be printed and must have the stats for every unit, including saves.
• Army Book for your army. Although not required, it is suggested that you bring the current errata and FAQ material for your army.
5. Army Restrictions
500 pts per player using the above rules.
WYSIWYG: Units must be WYSIWYG. Any model that fails to meet this requirement will be instantly removed from play (at your opponent’s discretion). Conversions and ‘counts as’ are allowed within reason (judges’ discretion).
Painted: Armies do not need to be painted to play or win overall, but wouldn't it be sweet to have a whole painted army to play with. Painted figures play better!
Opponents will be randomly determined for the first round. Swiss pairing (using just the gaming score) will occur in the second and final round.
All entrance fee money will be "the pot", even from those that drop out. This money will be divided among the top winners as follows:
Overall Champion: 40%. This is the player with the most overall points, includes the battle points for all three rounds.
Player’s Choice Award: 10% Each player will have the opportunity to rank each of the armies they have fought against using a simple checklist.
If a player wins multiple awards they will only receive the award with the highest prize and the award for any other category they have won will go to the runner up in that category.
Feel free to ask any questions.